Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Blink of an Eye

Here's a really bad idea.

What really gets me about this is that it, unlike those horrid Flickys which were an "awards" collective started by a group of pretentious, pompous Flickr members, this Blink of an Eye thing was actually initiated by the Flickr people. I have to say, I'm surprized. I found it encouraging when the Flickr people didn't respond to the whole Flicky madness, like maybe they were saying, "we don't want to be involved in anything that has to do with judging or quantifying what is on Flickr." But now it seems like that is just what they are saying. They've chosen a group of "judges" to choose the "best" shots from a pool of submissions. Ugh!

I hate this for the same reasons I hated the idea of the fotolog book (besides which the so-called "guest editors" of that endeavor made selections etc., in secret, and then pretty much chose most of their friends for inclusion); I don't like the idea of one small group of people "judging" what is "best" among what was an egalitarian community of people. It brings a whole different feel to the site for me now and it's not a feeling I like. Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« ¿ # » NY Bloggers