Thursday, September 07, 2006

Is London Terrace Falling Down?



Those of you in the 'hood are probably used to seeing the scaffolding at various points around the London Terrace block. Up to now, they've all been mainly repairing brickwork on the Towers (the two tallers portions of the building at either end of the block). Tuesday, however, some bricks tumbled down from the 14th floor of 450 West 24th and tore a hole in the awning. I found this out the next day when, going to assume my usual place on the front steps of 450 with my dog, Tony, to wait for his dog walker to come, the doorman told me he "wouldn't sit there" if he was me. He explained that the tear in the awning right above where Tony and I usually sit had been made by falling bricks. I haven't yet found out what the cause of the brick shower was, but suffice to say I'm glad I wasn't sitting there when they fell!

On another unrelated London Terrace note, Tony and I had an impromptu play session this morning with Lorraine Bracco and her 10-year old Jack Russell, Chandler. Chandler was much friendlier than Lorraine, who was probably just trying to avoid being recognized. I didn't say anything to her, partly because I didn't recognize her for sure until she spoke (there's no mistaking that husky voice!) and also because we New Yorkers don't fall all over celebrities here. It's what separates us from the animals, er, I mean, people who live in LA, where poor LiLo can't go for Starbucks without getting accosted by the paparrazzi. Of course I was dying to tell her that Tony was named, in part, for Tony Soprano but didn't want to break my cool. Next time, unless of course I'm knocked unconscious by a brick ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« ¿ # » NY Bloggers